Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Infatuations for random things


Whenever Daniel and I travel we tend to stop at every thrift store, flea market and an occasional antique market just to see what we can find. The most exciting thing to us when we are out and about rummaging through these places is finding something so interesting and unique that we can put in our house for super cheap. And yes, we've found some things like that plenty of times. I think we are somewhat addicted to this "sport" of looking for random interesting things. I think it's kind of funny at times, b/c I feel like we need an adventurous theme song when we are on the look out for one of these places and see one then swerve through traffic just to get there (we don't do that but that's what I picture us doing). This past week, while we were traveling to and from Damascus, Va. to visit family we stopped several times making our 6 hour trip into an 8+ hour trip b/c of so many stops. But, we found some great finds, and that's the whole purpose! We found some great places about 2 hours away from here in the North Ga. Mountains, that we've marked on our GPS, so I'm sure we'll be visiting again. The things we love to look for are: paintings, lamps, anything w/ ships on it, anything from the 70's and before, housewares, furniture, wall art, windows (which I found 2 this week for $5, good find!), stained glass windows are usually way too expensive but I'm always on the look out for those, video games, puzzles, instruments and glass cups which we collect (all of our glasses are different and I assume one day we will collect plates so that everything is different) and old suitcases. We never spend a lot of money, it's just looking for these things for cheap and finding them that's most exciting! The picture above is my great find for this last trip we went on! It's a 1950's sleeping gnome cookie jar and he's so cute!

No comments:

Post a Comment